Candle May Have Caused Fatal Moscow Mills Fire

Candle May Have Caused Fatal Moscow Mills Fire

On November 30, 2019 at 1:51 A.M. The Lincoln County Fire Protection District responded to a mobile home fire in the 100 Block of Blue Bunting Circle in Moscow Mills. When firefighters arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the home. It was reported that one person was trapped inside. One of the occupants made several attempts to rescue the trapped person, but was forced back by the fire. Firefighters initiated a search of the home for the missing occupant and began extinguishing the fire. Firefighters located a deceased 7 year old male in the home.

The Missouri State Fire Marshal’s Office was called to investigate and determined the cause of the fire to be “Accidental”. Power was out in the neighborhood and a candle was lit to provide light in the home. The fire is believed to have started in the area that the candle was burning. Due to the extent of the damage, the exact ignition source was unable to be identified.

We ask that you keep the family in your thoughts during this very tragic situation.

Below we have included a few safety tips to hopefully prevent another tragedy like this in the future.

Candle Safety Tips:

  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage.
  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.